Audrey Soo

Oct 7, 2019 at 1:10 AM by Audrey Soo

Hi! my name is Audrey and I am a grade 12 student at Eric Hamber Secondary. I enjoy spending time outdoors, biking, photography, and reading. Occasionally, I like to bake or make/go out to eat vegan food with friends!

1. I am most familiar with Principle #1: The Earth has one big ocean with many features
  2. I am least familiar with Principle #7: The ocean is largely unexplored

I think the mountains and oceans work together in ensuring that the surrounding environment is healthy and under control. The oceans provide the moisture which will eventually become snow on mountains through the water cycle. Come springtime, the snow will start to melt down the mountains and trickle into any nearby body of water or seep into the ground. The snow (or water) that the oceans provide the mountains helps organisms thrive and provides them a steady stream of water throughout the year. For example, salmon are benefited by the meltwater that is slowly released throughout the year since it keeps the rivers at a cool temperature. From this example, we can connect the relationship between the mountains and the ocean to principle #4: the ocean made Earth habitable. Because the ocean provides water on mountains in the form of precipitation, the ocean is also involved with the survival of many different organisms. When distributed down the mountain, the water encourages the growth of plants, provides water to the animals, becomes a form of transportation, and so on.