Application Form for Direct Action 2020
What Are Direct Action Placements?
The Ocean Bridge Direct Action Program will provide youth with 3 month full-time field placements that advance their ocean conservation skillset and professional experience during the summer and fall months of 2020. Youth will also receive coaching sessions and training to build their capacity as ocean leaders and support them throughout their immersive field placements. Some examples of Direct Action placements include:
- Assisting Ocean Wise researchers conducting beluga and marine mammal studies in St. Lawrence River
- Conducting field work and marine biodiversity analysis with the Howe Sound Research and Conservation team
- Supporting and learning from Indigenous led marine stewardship organizations
- Working with ocean researchers and conducting coastal fieldwork on the Pacific coast of Vancouver Island
- Working with ecological research projects and scientists within National Marine Conservation Areas and Coastal Sites
Ocean Bridge Direct Action will cover all costs associated with travel, food, living expenses, training, and material costs for the duration of the 3 months for each youth participant. Ocean Bridge Direct Action will also be responsible for recruiting, matching, and placing eligible youth candidates with a partner organization and arrange for the travel and accommodation directly to the chosen site.
Program Requirements For Youth Participants
- Complete a minimum of 360 hours (30 hrs / week) of volunteer work during a continuous 3-month immersive field placement, in a location different from their home, within the 2020 summer/fall months
- Engage in bi-monthly mentorship & coaching calls with an Ocean Bridge staff
- Participate in pre and post program sessions to assess impact of pilot program and provide feedback
- Complete necessary training and certifications required to work within field placements (training hours count towards total volunteer hours)
- Post to the group discussion forum and gallery each month updating on placement experience
Continue to DIRECT ACTION FAQs »