Youth Ocean Action Grants
Ocean Bridge is happy to offer a microgrant available to all our participants: the Youth Ocean Action Grant! The Youth Ocean Action Grant is open to each of the participants in either Ocean Bridge or YouthToSea. These grants support your service projects. The aim of the grants is to boost your capacity to benefit your community, build meaningful service projects, and benefit ocean health & literacy through your service.
Individual applicants can be awarded up to $500.00 for the delivery of their community service projects. You can only apply once. The amount awarded will be dependent on the needs of your individual service project idea, and the reach/impact of the project. If you want to work together with other participants for your service project, you can pool your grant monies and be awarded $500 per participant. In other words, if there were 4 participants all contributing and collaborating on one project, you could, as a group, be awarded up to $2000.00 on that particular project. If you're working as a group, one person will apply for the funding and name all other Ocean Bridge contributors in the grant application process.
Feel free to reach out to your program specialists should you require assistance in the ideation, planning and/or delivery phases. Keep in mind that selected projects will be highlighted and promoted on Ocean Bridge platforms, so please consider ways to share your project (ex. videos, blog posts, creative reflection pieces) that can be showcased either prior to- or shortly after the project is completed.
If you have any questions about your grant application, please email your program specialists. They are here to support you through this process.
- Go through the ideation process, either with your program specialist or on your own, and come up with a clear project idea. Feel free to use the project planning template or the one found in your mentorship excel document (hint: they're the same :)).
- Come up with a budget using the budget template (also found here or in your mentorship excel document). Please use exact costs (rather than estimates) for each item.
- Once you have a project description, idea of your time line, and budget, you are ready to apply for funding!
- Click here to head over to the form to apply
- Once you've submitted the form to apply for funding, you will be hear about whether you're successful or not within 2 weeks of submitting your form. If we have any questions or adjustments we need you to make to your project before accepting your application, your program specialist will be in contact with you to answer any questions and make necessary adjustments.
- Yay! Your application has been accepted! Now you need to fill out an Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) form and sign your contractual agreement - all of these will be included in your grant acceptance email, along with any instructions you need to complete them.
- Once you've done your paperwork, we will sending you the awarded monies!
- Use the funds for your project! Have fun! Help save our beautiful oceans, with your beautiful ingenuity and ideas. AND, SAVE ALL YOUR RECEIPTS!
- Once you're project is done, you will have to submit all your receipts along with a brief project report to our wonderful program administrator, Addie, within 30 days of completing your project.
The Youth Ocean Action Grants are available for:
- Youth that are currently participating in either Ocean Bridge or YouthToSea
- Projects that are undertaken on volunteer time as a part of either the Ocean Bridge or YouthToSea program
- Projects that have a positive impact on ocean or waterway health & literacy, and benefit your community
- Projects that address either one or several of the four Ocean Wise conservation areas: climate change, habitat destruction, pollution, and unsustainable resource extraction
Grant funding can be used for the following:
- Any equipment or materials needed for the project (either purchased or rented)
- Room or space rental
- Professional development or training needed to properly carry out the project
- Fees for service to pay individuals contributing professional expertise to the project (up $200 of total awarded funds can be used for fees for service)
- Exceptions can be made on a case-by-case basis
- Promotional materials for the service project
- Snacks or food required for service project
- Up $200 of the microgrant money can be used for fees for service (sometimes called honorariums)
- All equipment purchased for the community service projects through microgrants will be donated to Ocean Wise after project is completed
- 10% of grant monies awarded will be withheld until receipts are provided for equipment and services purchased for the project up unto that point
- You will submit a project report within 30 days of project completion
- All receipts for purchases and services will be included in a project report that will be submitted within 30 days of the project completion
Continue to Collaboration Space »