Frequently Asked Questions
What is the commitment?
During the 12-month program, Ocean Bridge Ambassadors are expected to:
- Complete a minimum of 120 hours of local community service related to ocean conservation (but you do not have to live near an ocean!);
- Engage weekly in a 1:1 mentorship & coaching session with an Ocean Bridge team member (duration is participant dependent and may vary week to week and could be anywhere from 30 min to 1 hour);
- Attend one national team video conferences each month;
- Participate fully in a 10-day immersive ocean health wilderness expedition in the Spring/Summer;
- Participate fully in a 5-day immersive ocean literacy urban journey in the Fall/Winter;
- Contribute meaningfully to team projects in the months leading up to the immersive expeditions;
- Post to the discussion forum and gallery each month.
We understand that life is full of surprises and are open to discussing commitment requirements with participants on an individual basis.
Who can participate?
Each year Ocean Bridge recruits 160 youth and young professionals 18 to 30 years of age to form four national cohorts of 40 youth each. Cohort participants are selected to represent the cultural, social, economic and geographic diversity of Canada. Whether you are from a rural land locked town, northern community, coastal urban city or anywhere else in between we want to hear from you! The program will cover travel expenses including transport, accommodation and meals for both immersive service expeditions. Additional support is available on case-by-case basis to cover childcare during the immersive service, internet connectivity, and adaptive technology. All participants will have access to mental health & wellness support.
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada;
- Must be living in Canada for the duration of the program and cannot be out of the country for more than one month consecutively;
- Must be 18 to 30 years old at the start date of the program.
How many participants are accepted annually?
We currently accept 160 participants from across Canada each year. We strive for our participants to be representative of the cultural, social, economic and geographic diversity of Canada.
What is the cost to participate?
Ocean Bridge is a fully funded volunteer program and there is no cost to the participant. For both immersive experiences, the program covers travel, food and accommodation expenses. Participants may qualify for additional support to cover childcare expenses during the immersive experiences, internet connectivity, and adaptive technology. All participants have free access to mental health & wellness support through Ocean Wise for the duration of the program.
For each immersive experience, the national Ocean Bridge team will have an additional budget of $25,000 to carry out their co-created service projects.
What kind of experience is Ocean Bridge looking for in a participant?
Ocean Bridge is about giving youth and young professionals experience and so we do not require participants to have any specific background with respect to work, volunteer or school. It is more important to us that participants are curious and passionate about our oceans, have a desire to make a difference and are prepared to engage fully for the duration of their ambassadorship.
How do I apply?
You can apply here by filling out our application form. You will need to include an expression of interest highlighting who you are and why you would like to join Ocean Bridge. We welcome expressions in all formats including, but not limited to, videos, letters, photo essays and art pieces. You are encouraged to represent yourself using a medium that best expresses who you are and your passion for oceans!
Still have questions?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Continue to Community & Capacity Building »